This Blog

>> Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Blog looks great, starting off with some interesting stuff. Joel, we must have crossed paths as kids, spent time in the Chicago area also and I remember the Victory Gardens of WWII, then to N.E. Missouri where the outdoors was an everyday wonder and classroom. More than that, it was a place to dream, to invent yourself and your passions. We not only didn't have iPods or computers, we didn't have electricity or indoor plumbing. We learned how to get along with each other, inside and outside the family and entertain ourselves plus make very short trips to the outdoor privy in the winter. Growing up on the farm was a lesson in learning how to entertain yourself in the middle of a pasture. What a wonderful experience.
Well I grew up, worked, married, had kids who had kids who had kids, retired and now my wife and I live on Lake of the Ozarks where we can entertain ourselves until our hearts are content.
What with all this contentment, I have a huge worry. Living on the lake creates the opportunity to see the best and worst in boating. Last evening, while fishing, I witnessed an adult, presumably the father, pulling two youngsters in a tube behind an I/O - NO OBSERVER! One fell out and then the other. After about 100 yards the driver realized his tube was empty and came back for the kids. Did I mention it was almost dark and the boat was running without lights.
So, my worry is how kids like this will survive to adulthood and what will they teach their kids if they do....... Darrell Taylor

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP