STRIPERS AT KENTUCKY DAM

>> Tuesday, May 3, 2011



It is no secret to ground pounders that tailwaters fishing is excellent fishing opportunity. I while back I had the chance to fish in Kentucky as part the Association of Great Lakes Outdoor Writers annual Spring Cast & Blast event. We were guests of: The Lake Barkley Tourist Commission, City of Marion Tourism Commission, Eddy Creek Marina Resort, and Winghaven Lodge.

Prior to the event I enter the Land Between The Lakes National Recreation Area with the intention of fishing several of the small lakes inside. It is a bluebird day which we all know is not conducive to good fishing. After touring the area, I decide to give up on the fishing and head north to my accommodations in Eddy Creek Marina Resort.

On the way, I saw a sign for a visitor center at Kentucky Lake Dam. Deciding to learn a little about the dam I headed that way. Unfortunately the center was closed. Fortunately, I noticed some fishermen along the rip rap below the dam and decided to join them. The sun has disappeared behind cloud cover promising better fishing conditions.

The dam is 206 feet high with half of that below the surface of the water. The lake behind the dam stands 50 feet higher than the original surface of the Tennessee River to the south. Down river the Tennessee eventually flows into the Ohio River to the north of the dam near Paducah, KY.

Using a white fluke rigged Texas-style; I am successful in catching a couple of skipjack herring. Then I get serious about the stripers. I use the skipjack as cut bait and proceed to catch a couple of stripers about 10 pounds in size. Others around me catch more and also catch them on the white flukes.

Some of the gates of the dam are open and they contributed to the current flow. Most of the fish are caught along the edge of the current flow about 50 yards down stream. About 6 skipjack were caught for every striper bite. I am told that the stripers are in this water in search of the skipjack as forage. Many of the stripers are not landed. I lose several in the heavy current and large rip rap rocks.

The locals fishing along side of me claim that the skipjack are not good eating and they only keep enough for bait. The stripers on the other hand are prized locally for their eating.

Parking at the dam was ample in the lot and there are concrete stairs leading down to the shore. However the shore walking is difficult. Large rocks along the rip rap shoreline are extremely difficult to transverse. Walk slowly lest you sprain an ankle or worse.

All too soon it is time for me to leave and continue on my travels across the western Kentucky countryside to the Eddy Creek Resort on Lake Barkley five miles south of the town of Eddy Creek.

Don Gasaway - The Ground Pounder
http://www.dongasaway.wordpress.com/

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP